Wednesday, September 9, 2009

When he returned to the castle, Stecky came running. "Your Highness! A message from Yis for you."
"Really?" Taréz took the scroll, wondering what the news was. He hardly heard Stecky excuse himself to attend to a visitor's ring.
The prince hadn't heard much from Yis recently, partly because he was so busy. It contained surprising news: dark Vle were now interned in the camp, having been arrested by the army as ‘light Vle sympathizers.' Yis was relating the story of one ex-monk in particular who had led many such groups, right up to Dronac.
"Your Highness?" said Stecky nervously. "An important visitor...."
"Prince Taréz, attend me," said a benevolent voice from below the grand staircase.
Taréz looked over the landing to see the Representative of the Great Master climbing the steps, and dropped to his knees. "Your Holiness! I am not worthy to receive you." He paused. "May I inquire as to the purpose of your visit? I have not known the Representative to leave Kezantopil for reasons other than Deschule celebrations."
"Unusual times call for unusual measures. Is your father available?"
"He is."
"Please, stand, my son."
Taréz did, and nodded in excusal to Stecky, who moved off on a new errand. Then, the prince noticed the two young Vle behind the Representative, but wasn't sure how to phrase the question in his mind.
But the question was answered anyway. "Let me introduce you to these two youngsters I just met. This is Mecora, who lost two of her best friends to the camp. And, if you'll excuse me my presumption, my dear, is half light."
The boy appeared astonished, while the girl stammered. "Y- you can tell?"
"I am a student of Vlekind, Mecora. Even though you may be dark enough to escape internment, it is clear that one of your parents was light."
"You never told me that!" said the boy.
A discussion seemed about to follow, but the Representative preempted that. "And this is Stecky. He and his parents are Varmacian, and were unfortunate enough to be visiting our country when the Proclamation was made."
"My father will definitely want to hear this. Please, follow me, Your Holiness."
Taréz turned and walked at an easy pace for the chambers. It wasn't his custom to walk so slowly, but now he felt himself to be in the chamberlain's place, in comparison with so holy a person as this. He even used some of the procedure for announcing a guest to the King in the royal chambers.
"Father, a very important guest has arrived. May I show him in?"
The king gave a look askance at his son, then checked himself over. "Yes, please, who is it?"
"May I present the Representative of the Great Master. He wishes to speak to us regarding the internment of the light Vle."
Taréz father did an admirable job concealing his surprise, and, groaning, he knelt. "Your Holiness! I am not worthy to receive you."
"That remains to be seen. Please, let us sit at the table."
"Yes, please, do." Taréz led the pontiff to the head of the small meeting table; the children continued to stand.
"There are some facts I would like you to know. My investigation showed that Gardric made accusations about strikes, riots, and even a dock burning?
"Yes. The strikes and the riots threatened the security of our nation."
"I submit, King Lajot, that the security of your nation is very undermined anyway."
"So it has turned out."
"Worse, however, is that many of Gardric's accusations were manufactured. A private stationed in Hantas confessed to starting the dock fire. The strike riots were by a small minority, less than one hundred Vle at a time. The light Vle are a very sensible race, you know."
"I know. My chamberlain has shown that. But what of the bank strikes? If we hadn't been able to take them over, our nation would be bankrupt and taken over by now."
"Also manufactured. That Gardric is a wily one. Again, through confessional, we learned that he paid a few of his troops to intercept the mining audits so he could make it appear to the bankers that the miners weren't being paid enough, when in fact they were receiving competitive pay. Quite simply, the light Vle were never a danger to Larmania."
The king whimpered, and fell ignominiously onto his voluminous belly. "No, no... How could I have been so blind..." he whimpered.
The Representative contnued to converse with Taréz. "I am gratified to learn that His Majesty's heart is indeed pure of intention. Did you know that even dark Vle and non-citizens have been rounded up to be sent to the camp?"
Taréz felt sick. "Perhaps it would be healthier for Gardric to never arrive."