Tuesday, September 8, 2009

It was very tempting to not look around Dronac, easily the biggest city either of them had seen. Even from the ground they could see some of its magnificent buttresses, arches, and even spires.
But being so close to their goal, they kept going. As the driver had told them, the camp wasn't hard to find. It was in the afternoon when they arrived at the widening in the road. All of a sudden, there it was, the massive wooden wall, an unnatural beige rectangle sectioning off the forest. And it was time to face the question they'd manage to avoid for the entire journey.
Mecora went over to Spreak's tree, placing it between her and as many army eyes as she could. "Now what?" she said into the waiting hole.
"I was about to ask you the same thing. They have the trees in there surrounded with fence, so no one can ‘sing themselves in or out. I'd been wondering about that."
"Couldn't we sing ourselves just to the top of a fence?"
"And then what? We can't risk opening a hole and jumping out. It's too far. Plus, we couldn't get back into the tree."
"There's no way to ‘sing dead wood?"
"No, because the magic uses the tree's life force. Dead wood has none, or else it wouldn't be dead."
"Maybe they'll let you in. I'll try to find your parents, and bring them to a certain tree. Then, we could talk from there."
"No, still too risky. Wait, I'm getting an idea."
Mecora found herself holding her breath, waiting for the idea.
"I think I can get a tree to force a hole in the fence. And we can go in at night. I will need you to go in now, to find them while there's still sunlight, then tell them to come to the nearest tree. Then, I need you to show me which tree to come to."
"Okay. Now, how do I get in."
"You're a dark. Why couldn't you go in?"
"They might say it's dangerous for me. Or maybe the King said no visitors. The King did seem to want us to not mix."
"Well, do something. There isn't much daytime left."
"Right. Wish me luck."
Spreak reached out to take her hand in his. "Good luck."
The touch surprised her, but Mecora was already thinking out what to say. She stepped away from the hole, and marched right up to the gate. "Hi. Can I come in?"
"What?" asked the gatekeeper incredulously.
"Can I come in? There's some friends in there I want to see."
"You have lightie friends?!" Chuckles came from up above.
"Yeah. You know, two months ago, that wasn't a crime, and its no burning crime now. So you better let me in! I'm still a subject of the King, after all!"
More chuckles were followed by her answer. "Sure, why not?" The gate swung open, to reveal a small, empty space fronted by more of the wooden wall.
"No, I mean all the way in!"
"You don't think we'd just open up both doors at the same time, do you?! Come in the first door, and when it's closed, we'll open the second door. Got it?"
"Got it." Mecora didn't really trust their word, but figured that if they were to capture her, they'd probably just keep her in the camp with everyone else. Only she had a rescuer. With a collecting of her bravery, she marched into the small space.
The main gates closed. A moment passed. Finally, the gates before her opened. Inside was a scene she could never have imagined.
A city— on the ground! Free-standing houses, people milling about on earth worn bare by thousands of feet. There was commerce going on here, bartering much like back home in Kelwome. A cloud of dust from those feet rose into the air above the houses, whitewashing the normal green of a dense forest.
All these Vle... in a city possibly even bigger than Dronac itself! Mecora felt a wave of despair wash over her. How was she ever to find Spreak's parents in all this?!
Suddenly, a pair of arms caught her. "Whoa, what's the matter?" asked a friendly female voice.
"I came.. I came to find my friends, but... but..."
"Oh, we've created a registry. Lots of Vle want to find their friends and family when they arrive. Come with me." The relatively plump woman with unusually dark blond hair put her arm around Mecora's shoulder and led her to the nearest house on the right. On the way, she introduced herself as Lara'i. Inside, they passed between a few bunk beds, and arrived at one converted into a desk. A small lamp sat on it, and boxes of paper with tags sticking out. Above, on the wall, a sign said something about a fee.
"Uh... will this cost me?"
"Oh, for you? Probably not. Most people who come here are without money, too, and there is no money in here, anyway. We charge a small percentage of a person's first profit if they're new, but I imagine you'll get to leave."
"I hope so."
"So, who are you looking for?"
Mecora was about to say Mereo and Ueal, but realized that she only had a certain amount of time before Spreak would be looking for her. What had he thought it would be so easy in this mess? "Well, actually, I don't know their names. See, I met this light Vle named Spreak, and he somehow got away when his family was captured, but they're not from Larmania. They're from Varmacia."
"We have quite a few Varmacian nationals. What else do you know of them?"
Mecora tried to think over what else Spreak had told her, but he really hadn't said much. "Well, his father can treesing. He has a sister who's older, and a younger brother."
"Well, that's a good start. We have a listing by skill, too. It will take some work, but we just need to cross-reference—"
"Cross what?"
"Cross reference. It means I'm going to look at my listing of treesingers for Varmacian men, and then look up all those names for ones who have a daughter and a son, and might be expecting another son to arrive. We light Vle are very organized, you know."
"I know. My friend, Mereo, used to arrange her clothes by color."
"Perfect example! Now, let me see..."
Mecora waited while the woman searched the files. When her feet got tired, she sat on the nearest bunk; before long, she was lying down and dreaming.
Next thing she knew, she was pulled out of a gentle dream by an equally gentle shaking. "Mecora? I've found them."
"You did? How do I get there?"
"We have guides. And since it's late and I'd have to pay them, I'll guide you myself."
Mecora realized it was already dark. "Oh my gosh! Spreak will be worried! Or angry."
"Sorry, but these things take time."
"I know. And at least you're here to help. I really appreciate this."
"No problem. Now let's go find your friend's family."
The haphazard layout of the camp served to get Mecora entirely lost in just a few minutes. How could anyone find their way around here? she wondered. Maybe it was part of the King's plan- overwhelm the Vle when they arrived, perhaps? She longed for the simple tree-centric plan of a normal town.
Finally, Lara'i stopped at a house, totally indistinguishable from the others Mecora had seen so far, and knocked.
A woman came to the door. "Oh, hi, Lara'i! Are you working so late?"
"Yes, a special case. I'm here for the family of Spruoit Annardem."
The woman at the door turned her head and yelled for Spruoit. "Is it his son?"
"Well, no," Lara'i replied with a smile.
A large man took the place in the door. "What do you mean?"
Lara'i indicated Mecora, motioning her to step up and introduce herself. "My name is Mecora. Spreak appeared in my town one day, and we've been... living in trees ever since."
"Is he here? Now?"
"He's up in the trees still, waiting. He has a plan to get you out of here, actually."
"If he means to treesing us out, I'm afraid they have fencing to prevent that..."
"He said he thought he could get the tree to poke a hole in the fence somehow. Anyway, he's up there, now, waiting for me to show him which tree to come to. He wanted me to show him in the daylight, but..."
"Well, we'd better go, then." He turned inside. "Alinna, tell my family Spreak is here and I'm going to see him, will you?" Then, he turned to Lara'i. "Since Mecora here can't pay you, I'll cover your costs. What was the fee? One percent?"
"Oh, Spruoit, I won't take anything for this. I decided that when I met her."
Spreak's father seemed on the edge of arguing the point, but he shook his head. "We'll discuss it later. Let's go to the nearest tree, Mecora."
"Thank you so much, Lara'i!" said Mecora, energized by the thought of the reunion to come, and her part in it. Then, she looked for the nearest tree, and headed there.
Said tree wasn't too far, but even so she doubted she'd be able to get back to Spruoit's house. And once there, it was a matter of waiting. How long would it take Spreak to find them in the dark?
Not as long as she thought. She and Spreak's father hadn't even quite run out of conversation (discussing what she and Spreak had been doing since they'd met) when some odd crackling sounds came from behind them. They turned, and watched as small holes, arranged in a circle about 15 hands wide, were formed in the fence. Finally, the piece simply fell out. Spruoit caught it, and let it down gently so as not to make a sound. There, behind it, was Spreak.
Mecora stepped back and let the reunion run its course, only belatedly remembering to look around for trouble. But, it being night time, few people were out, and not even one dark soldier could be seen. Not that she could see very far.
The conversation heated up, and she turned her attention back to it, even as she continued to watch. "What do you mean, you can't come?"
"Spreak, think a moment. We may be trapped, but if we were to leave, even if we're not caught, there will always be the danger. What are the chances we could get to the border without getting caught? And how in the forest would we cross the battle lines safely?"
Spreak didn't respond right away. "I guess you're right. But I can't join you."
"I know, son. I know. At least we know you're okay. We will get out someday."
"I'm going to make sure of it. Come on, Mecora."
Mecora wasn't expecting to be addressed. "What?"
"Come on, we have to go now."
"Well... I thought we could stay in the house tonight. Something other than a tree for a change."
"But what are the chances we could get back out in the morning? The longer we stay, the more likely we'll be discovered."
"Spreak, I'm beginning to hate it when you're right." She sighed. "Okay, well, it's been nice meeting you, Mr. Annardem. I hope you all get out soon."
He chuckled. "If my son has anything to say about it, it'll be tomorrow morning. Good night, and may the Great Redeemer watch over you."
"Good bye," she said, and climbed into the tree. Spruoit put the fence section back even as Spreak sang the hole shut. As quietly as they could, they tree hopped away from the camp to sleep for the night.