Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Girl

The familiar platforms of Kelwome beckoned below Mecora and Spreak. “What do we do now?”
“I don’t know about you, but I’d like to have some bread, some cooked food...”
“You actually want to me to go down there?”
“Well, no... I mean, if you don’t want to...”
“No. I’m not going down there.”
“So, now what?”
“I dunno.”
“Well, there’s no point in being here if we’re not going to go down there. Let’s go back to the lake.”
The lake? Mecora slowly shook her head, becoming somewhat sure she didn’t really want to go there. No reason why, specifically. She just didn’t want to go.
“Somewhere we haven’t been before, then? We could go west.”
Nah, that wasn’t an attractive idea, either. She shook her head, a bit more sharply this time.
“Mecora, why don’t you see if you can’t talk to your mom?”
“What good would that do? We’ll just get into an argument again.”
“You don’t know that. Just be respectful and don’t let her make you mad. Remember, she just wants what’s right for you.”
“But what she thinks is right is wrong!!”
“So agree to disagree. Just make peace.”
“Do I have to right now?”
“Of course not. But we’re leaving forever if you don’t tomorrow.”
“Okay.”
Spreak sang, and their hole moved down to just above rooftop level. “You can go out when it gets dark.”

The sun set, sending first their hole and then the forest into darkness. Glowworm lanterns lit the platforms as the dark Vle went about their evening pleasures... and Mecora watched it all through the hole. Things were actually hopping. She just sat and watched for a while. The music got louder, the platforms got more crowded, and some of the Vle got drunker. Then, things reversed as they either went home or passed out. Finally, no one was moving, and the glowworms were themselves going to sleep.
In the dwindling wormlight, she squeezed out of the hole onto the roof. As quietly as she could, she hopped down to the platform and headed for her mother’s home.
What on earth was she going to say when she got there?
She reached the apartment, but didn’t go in right away. A beat; two, while she finalized her plan.
Three. She opened the door, hoping with every ounce of her being that it wouldn’t creak. Wider. Wider. Wider.
Her mom was sitting there at the table in the light of a single candle. “Mom!” she gasped.
“How can you make me live like this, Mecora?”
“How can the King make light Vle live without freedom?”
“It’s not our place to say, but it is my place to say how you live. I’m your mother.”
“I know. And I really don’t mean to hurt you.” To her surprise, Mecora realized she truly meant that.
Her mother didn’t reply.
So, what then? They weren’t yelling. Did that mean they’d reconciled, just like that? She opened the door a bit more and actually stepped in.
“So, are you going to stay now?”
“I can’t. Spreak is still out there.”
“How have you been eating?”
“Rabbits, berries, fish... we;’ve actually gotten pretty good at it. We miss bread, though.”
“So, what does he need you for?”
“Companionship.”
Her mother’s face went dark. “What kind of companionship?”
“Mom!” she whined, “not that kind of companionship!”
“So, where is he from?”
“Varmac. He was on vacation with his family when the Proclamation came out, and they were captured and only he got away.”
“How do you know he’s telling the truth?”
“I just know!” Although, to be honest to herself, she’d never actually considered he might not be. On the other hand, why would he lie about that?
“So, if he’s not from Larmania, then he must be from one of the litie countries, and he could just be a spy.”
“Mom! What on earth is there to spy on around here?!” Nothing! She knew she was right about that.
“How am I supposed to know? That’s his job.”
“Mother...” she warned.
“All right, all right. You just never know.”
“What I know is that the Elders get together to judge if someone is guilty, and until then we have to assume they’re innocent.”
Her mother sighed, and went misty-eyed for a moment. “What happened to the party hearty Mecora I once knew?”
“She woke up.” Mecora paused. “You can’t tell me you loved that Mecora more. I know I worried you a lot.”
“Yes, you did, but I knew you. I was familiar with that Mecora. But I’ve never met anyone like you before.”
“Well, I hope we can get to know each other better.”
“So, to ask again, does that mean you’re going to stay?”
“No. I don’t think I can.”
“I didn’t think so—”
“But maybe just tonight.”
Quietly, they went to the back room and resumed the old sleeping arrangement.