Thursday, September 10, 2009

Gardric did actually appear late the next day. From the royal chamber window, Taréz watched him climb out of his carriage, and walk proudly to the palace, a smirk on his face. Was that pride for what he had accomplished? Taréz hoped so— Gardric had enough listeners to know if something against him was afoot, and ending the war by decree like this would not be agreeable to him.
The three Vle met in the grand hall. Taréz thought about being the first to speak, but decided to see just what his father would do. This, after all, would be the argument to end all arguments between them.
Gardric was first. "I have great success to report, Your Majesties," he announced. "Do you call for an accounting of them?"
"No, I call for an explanation of your tactics. I have heard some very interesting reports."
"Oh, Sire, my tactics are much too numerous to enumerate here. Shall we—"
"No, we shall not. I'm only concerned about one tactic in particular. Something about stealing the energy of the enemy?"
Gardric chuckled. "Ah, the exultations of the victor, the excuses of the loser. Our troops are so skilled, it may well seem that way. We can fight all day without losing spirit, because we are defending our homeland!"
"Don't lie to me Gardric. I know you've been using mages to do the energy stealing."
"Fabrications of the enemy! Undoubtedly they wish to undermine my trustworthiness."
It was finally Taréz's turn. "By planting said mages in your cellar? And one in the command tent at every battlefield? I highly doubt it. Tsk, tsk, Gardric, lying to your liege lord. You taught me better than that."
For a fleeting moment, Gardric appeared as frantic as the cornered rat. Then, as any animal would, he struck back, head held proudly. "I did it for Larmania, Your Majesties! Century after century, those light Vle have been draining our resources to our enemies, and it was time to bring it to an end! My line has been waiting for the time to strike back, and the time has come! I thought I had made you see that, King Lajot! But now I see you're too weak to do anything about it. Weak as a lightie! You must not rule anymore!" With that, he unsheathed his sword.
But Taréz jumped between them, his own sword raised and ready. "Weak, my foot! Wiser than you, I'd say! My only regret is that we allowed your line's prejudice to last so long. I hereby remove you as Chief of the Army."
"Hah! You can't! I'm your superior officer!"
"I can, and I do. Guards, arrest this Vle!"
This time, the guards obeyed, infuriating Gardric. "Fools! What do you think will happen without me to win the war? What to you think will happen to Larmania? You need me to lead us to victory."
"Not your way anymore, Gardric. We have sent alms of peace to our neighbors. The fighting will stop."
"You're insane! Insane! Insane!" the former chief screamed repeatedly as he was dragged to the dungeon.