Thursday, June 4, 2009

In all, it was four days before the very same functionary returned and ‘invited’ him to a meeting with the Voice. The small space was deep in the tree, lit by a light-pipe. It was very simple, as well: only an unornamented table and chairs. The Vle that sat in one was fairly old, but smiled fondly on Hyran when he entered. “I understand you were once a monk.”
“You understand correctly.”
“How can I help you in a way that the old texts cannot?”
“My question— no, my request is something that regards modern times. I have noticed that it seems no light Vle is safe from the King’s Proclamation.”
“Indeed, the King’s power is great. But we mustn’t be concerned with politics.”
“I have heard that said. But let me explain my question: The Great Master mandated personal freedom for all, did he not?”
“Yes.”
“And he has the power to guide our lives, does he not?”
“Yes.”
“Everyone’s lives, and not just those who follow him?”
“Everyone’s, yes.”
“Does he always?”
“No, of course not. He is not the Creator.”
Hyran had always agreed with that last statement. But now, he asked, “But if someone is about to violate one of his mandates, will he guide that someone along a different path?”
“Not necessarily. He may wish us, those who believe in him, to guide that someone for him.”
“Well, he obviously did not guide the King, for our light-skinned brothers are now without any personal freedom.”
“Are you implying, Son, that we ought to ignore our vows and get involved in politics?”
“I am implying that, since the Great Master did not guide the King away from violating His Mandate, it must be up to us to do the guiding.”
“We do not know all the issues involved—”
“There is only one issue here, Voice. Personal Freedom, a Mandate of the Great Master Himself. It is being violated in the grossest fashion ever in the history of Vle-kind, and no one is guiding the King away from his mistake.”
“We still do not know all the issues, Son. It may simply be that it is a test of those who carry on His exalted work. We have taken a vow to remain uninvolved.”
“That seems like supremely twisted logic, to test the vow that constrains a mere five thousand Vle by violating His own Mandate and affecting the lives of fifty thousand innocents.”
The elder Vle spread his arms. “Who are we understand the Great Master?”
“Is that not your job, Voice?”
“Well, yes—”
“Which is why I came to you.”
“Oh, dear. I fear you will need to speak to someone closer to the Great Master than I.”
“When, may I ask?”
“The same time as now: upon availability, of course.”
“Of course.”
“Go with the forgiveness of the Great Master.”
“Go with the Great Master at your side,” Hyran responded, and went out.
The functionary who met him there smiled. “Did yoou find the answer you wanted?”
“No,” replied Hyran with a shake of his head, “I am to see one of the Representative’s Speakers.”
“Ah. I hope he can answer your question.”
“Me too.”

The wait was longer, the meeting space was more elaborate, but the conversation with the Speaker went much the same. The Vle even commented that it seemed as though Hyran had failed the Great Master’s test.
Hyran didn’t think so. “I feel driven to do his will. He is not inconsistent or illogical.”
“What his logic is, only His Representative knows for sure. I will grant you an audience with him.”
“Thank you. Thank you very much.”
“However, I feel I must warn you. The Voice and I have been lenient. To ask the Rep to break his vows in full knowledge of those vows is to ask for expulsion from the faith. It shows a certain... insincerity. Do you still wish this audience?”
“Absolutely.”
“Very well. I suggest you word your request carefully.”
More carefully?! How much more careful with his words could he get? “I am grateful for your advice, Speaker. Go with the forgiveness of the Great Master.”
“Go with the Great Master at your side.”
Hyran stepped out, and headed back to his room, wondering just how long he would have to wait this time.
And if he would, at the end of that wait, lose the faith that had made him what he was.